Project submission & project ranking
Each year, the Summer Student Programme starts by publishing the Vacancy Notice for applications (beginning of November until end January). It is then followed by the launch of the project submissions taking place from 5th January to 6th February 2022.
The Departmental Representatives of the Summer Student Programme forward the relevant information to the potential supervisors within their respective departments. Interested supervisors have several weeks for proposing projects ON the dedicated Indico platform. It is advised to appoint two supervisors per project. Such arrangement is put in place so that the assigned summer student will have a back-up supervisor during the stay.
Once the project submission is over, all projects are shared with the respective Department Representatives or Experiment Team leaders for a review. The review period usually takes two weeks. During this time, each project is ranked and categorized based on project priority. As there are three rounds of student pre-selections, accepted projects will be categorized based on their ranking to first, second or third round of selections and entered in the selection tool accordingly.
Two tools are used for pre-selections:
- Smartrecruiters – to view student profiles
- Summer student selection tool – to enter pre-selections
At each selection round, supervisors of accepted projects will be given access to available and eligible pool of candidates in Smartrecuiters. They will be able to make a pre-selection of 10 candidates in order of priority in the Summer student selection tool. Each project will have its own pre-selection.
After each selection round is over, a selection algorithm runs and makes the final assignments per project. The algorithm takes into consideration the nationality quota, project priority and the pre-selection itself. The selection guidelines as well as the selection algorithm explanation can be found here.
For information, the 2022 selection schedule is as follows:
- 1st Selection Round: Tuesday 1st March to Sunday 13th March
- Selection Algorithm 1: Monday 14th March
- 2nd Selection Round: Thursday 17th to Sunday 27th March
- Selection Algorithm 2: Monday 28th March
- 3rd Selection Round: Wednesday 30th March to Wednesday 6th April
- Selection Algorithm 3: Thursday 7th April
Selection results are communicated after each selection round. Non-assigned projects go automatically to the following round.
Please consult the supervision guidelines here.
Important programme dates
For important dates and events see this page.
Activities for students
Besides the work project, summer students are advised to take part in the following activities:
- Summer Student Lecture Programme (SSLP): each morning from Tuesday 28th June to Friday 29th July 2022.
- CERN openlab Lectures (IT topics): July - August some afternoons (schedule can soon be found here)
- Organized CERN visits: 4 visits have been organized for each student on 2 afternoons to the Anti Proton Decelerator & Data Centre; Synchrocyclotron & ATLAS Visitor Center. Since a lot of effort is put into the coordination of visits and assignments of guides, we require the student’s presence.
- Summer Student Workshops: taking place on afternoons. The workshop catalogue can soon be found here.